Monday, May 4, 2009

More lessons from my draft

Ok, since I took my spill last week, I've been racking my brain as to what I'm supposed to learn from this. Then I thought, maybe it's not the FALL I'm supposed to be learning from, but how, or WHY it happened. Everyone keeps asking me, why did he buck? And I don't know. Maybe he was stung. Maybe the girth rubbed against the raw spot on his belly. The fact is I have no way of ever really knowing.

So I started thinking about that. Using my intuition and a lot of meditation, I started thinking maybe HE was trying to tell me something, and not just, hey, get off my back! LOL

For a few days he'd been acting like the old Scottie. A bit skittish, more 'on alert' than normal. I just figured it was spring, the grass is growing, etc....And that could be part of it. However, I've not been working with him as much as I used to. My trainer once told me, this is a horse that you'll always have to do ground work with. Not because he has bad manners, but because it keeps him in check under saddle. It reminds him to listen to me.

I'd been slacking. Big time. I'd been going out riding with my buddies, and I'd do a 3-5 minute pre-flight type check on him, and then get on. I'm thinking that that is not enough.LOL I learned this lesson 3 years ago when I couldn't even catch him! So why did I let it happen again? Why, when I know how he is, when I've BEEN TOLD....why would I let it happen again?

I guess sometimes it feels easier to not do something, than it does to take the time to do it. So, this leads me back to the lessons of commitment, dedication, and consistency. These are things he taught me 2-3 years ago. I also see them in my martial arts, but it seems easier there. I go to class and do what they tell me to. Hmmmm.


http//2020horsemanship.com

No comments:

Post a Comment